Thread: Question about Singer Link Simulators

Question Question about Singer Link Simulators

I am wondering what the difference between a Singer Link AST simulator and a Singer Link MST simulator. Both are MD80 series.

Thanks in advance.

The biggest difference and most important in my mind is the I/O. ASTs were very robust ships that worked well and ran forever. MSTs are not as reliable. Any more information on these ships? I think I may know the MST one you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by NitrousPowrdSS View Post
    The biggest difference and most important in my mind is the I/O. ASTs were very robust ships that worked well and ran forever. MSTs are not as reliable. Any more information on these ships? I think I may know the MST one you are talking about.
    Thanks for the information!

The MST sims tried to take advantage of micro processor technology and distribute the simulator computational load to different subsections of the simulator. Instead of a large computer calculating everything, you might have a separate micro processor that did the fuel system (for example). Adjacent to the fuel system processor would be the I/O for all the fuel related stuff. There were some processors that did not do much hardware I/O (e.g. aero) but were also in a hardware rack onboard.

I worked on a couple of 747 MST sims and a MD82. IME, the problem with these sims was the communication required for all the separate processors to talk to each other for a complete simulation. Loading a MST sim could take 20-30 minutes to download all the cards. If the loading of one module got corrupted you may not know until you ran the sim unless you sat in from of the terminal and watched all the messages (there were A LOT) during the load process. If it failed you had to reset all the processors (pressing the reset button on all the processor cards) and try again. It could take a few tries (and lots of time) to reload the sim. Once the sim was loaded it was fairly robust. There did not seem to be that many issues of reloading the simulation to fix spurious issues (i.e. "fixed by reloading the simulator" trouble calls).

AST machines were great to work on and I go along with others where they had a good reputation. The Master Controller could be a bit picky at times but people had to work on it so little it was difficult because we just weren't that familiar with it.

Northwest had placed a huge order for MST machines and the arrived in different states of hell because I think they were the lasts ones out of the plant before they closed. The techs slowly got them reliable but they still took forever to load and were really picky for temperature and humidity. Delta still has a few of the MST's from NWA MSP but they have gone through some major upgrades so no more failed bin loading and no more 72/67s. I hear they are pretty good machines now (30 years later).