Thread: Looking for someone to take over Simtechonline.com

Default Looking for someone to take over Simtechonline.com

I have a lot of money and time invested in this website. The website itself has been around since 2001 and some of the original members may remember it being hosted on my old Skydeals website as early as 1998.

Unfortunately, I had a string of health issues and multiple family deaths which had caused me to not give the forum the attention is needed to keep things up to date. The health issues means my sim tech career is close to ending.

So I'm looking at retiring from Simtechonline.com.... at least as forum admin and website owner.

I'm looking at someone who is willing to host it themselves and even take ownership of the domain name itself. I currently lease a server from GoDaddy and the cost is about $45-$50 a month. I will also be transferring over the vBulletin forum license if this is possible. You would have to lease your own server since I will be shutting down mine, but we can transfer over all the data and MySQL files necessary.

To find out what types of hosting plans are needed please look up what VPNs or servers can handle the vBulletin forum packages. vbulletin.com may be a good source for this.

I would prefer to keep this tech owned and not corporate owned. I would like to get something out of the surrender but that's something we can work out when/if anyone steps up to the task.

It's been fun folks, but I just can't keep up anymore.

Sorry to hear all this and hope everything works out for you Andy.

Best wishes and thanks very much.

Default Thanks for everything Andy

Sorry to hear old friend. I hope all is OK and wishing you the best... "It must be that one circuit breaker" :)

Default I will take over the domain and hosting

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I have a lot of money and time invested in this website. The website itself has been around since 2001 and some of the original members may remember it being hosted on my old Skydeals website as early as 1998.

Unfortunately, I had a string of health issues and multiple family deaths which had caused me to not give the forum the attention is needed to keep things up to date. The health issues means my sim tech career is close to ending.

So I'm looking at retiring from Simtechonline.com.... at least as forum admin and website owner.

I'm looking at someone who is willing to host it themselves and even take ownership of the domain name itself. I currently lease a server from GoDaddy and the cost is about $45-$50 a month. I will also be transferring over the vBulletin forum license if this is possible. You would have to lease your own server since I will be shutting down mine, but we can transfer over all the data and MySQL files necessary.

To find out what types of hosting plans are needed please look up what VPNs or servers can handle the vBulletin forum packages. vbulletin.com may be a good source for this.

I would prefer to keep this tech owned and not corporate owned. I would like to get something out of the surrender but that's something we can work out when/if anyone steps up to the task.

I will take over the domain and hosting. Just started working in the sim world 3 years ago. It would be an honor to keep this site alive...there isn't anything else like it. I have other domains thru godaddy and am already familiar with vBulletin.
    Let's talk over private messaging, phone, text, email .. whatever works best for you.

Jimmy
    Last edited by fugazi; 08-10-2017 at 05:27 PM.

In my studio, sharpening my ax with a dull keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post

Andy,

You have done the community a great service. Sorry to see it go, but I agree, it seems to not really be a meeting place anymore. Corporations have hijacked the interwebs and all we got out of the deal was some shitty facebook wall polluted by Idiots, Narcissists doing duck faces, and far too many cats.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
    I walk funny. I mean, I walk really funny.
    John Wayne