Thread: 25% cut hours (and pay) through June 2020

25% cut hours (and pay) through June 2020

Earlier this month Delta has asked for volunteers to take short-term unpaid leave of up to 90 days and also stated they were slashing the pay of directors and above.

A few days ago the CEO informed all ground workers that hours of full-time employees be cut 25% over the next 90 days. Starting roughly April 1st: 40 hour work weeks will be cut down to 30 hour work weeks. This means a 25% lower paycheck through the end of June.

Ref: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...hours-bastian/

Yesterday the local news said something about the CEO stating there would be no layoffs or paycuts until after Sept 30th but that contradicts other statements made this week. They are not cutting the hourly rate of pay but they are reducing the hours per week from 40 hours to 30. A memo I just saw on the Delta website (dated 03/27 at 2:00pm) confirms the 25% reduction in work hours is still in effect.

Can someone tell me the exact day the 25% schedule reduction went into effect? I believe it was prior to the CARES act being signed into law. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe that it went effect the 1st of April. Delta didn't lay anyone off yet and they didn't cut hourly rate - what they did was cut the hours worked. The airline stimulus says basically that there will not be any layoffs but this only protects the jobs until September 30th. October 1st is going to be an ugly day at the airlines.

There's a group of techs that took the voluntarily temporary layoff, which ranges from a month to up to a year for some departments. They still hold their seniority and I believe benefits (not sure about that second part) and they will be able to collect unemployment which includes the additional $600 a week stimulus money. For some employees (not in the sim department) this worked out to better pay than when the were working.

There's also a rumor that HR is coming out with a early retirement package. Normally Delta has no retirement bonuses for the working stiffs, only the upper management. The upcoming package may be announced as soon as this week and people need to be out the door by August.

It sounds like the 25% reduction in hours has been extended through September.